Inspiration of the Self-Reliance 30-Day Writing Challenge

To celebrate Ralph Waldo Emerson's 208th birthday (May 25th, 1803), Self-Reliance urges us to trust our intuition rather than conforming to the will of the majority.

Beginning on May 31st, 2011, The Ralph Waldo Emerson Self-Reliance website*** will post a daily prompt. This will continue for 30 days.

This is my unique creation of personal reflection and responses, based on those prompts.

***See link below for the site.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Afraid to Do

DAY 9 ~

Prompt:
Emerson says: “Always do what you are afraid to do.”
What is ‘too scary’ to write about? Try doing it now.


For me, I find nothing “too scary” to write about.  Writing about something and doing something are two very different things.  While I’m not afraid to write about anything, there are a couple things that to do intimidate me slightly.  Fortunately, these are not anything I’m required to do.  I am not thrilled to ride a roller coaster, although I’ve done it in the past.  I prefer not to feel an earthquake or not to be near a major brush fire.  I’ve experienced both of these disasters, which can be quite distressing.  Also, not being a “phone person”, my time spent talking on a telephone is limited to as infrequent as possible.  One thing I’ve learned in sixty-three years is there are very few things I must be required to experience.  Therefore, I pick and choose my decisions wisely, without forcing myself to encounter that which causes discomfort within me, if and when possible.

In addition, while I find nothing “too scary” to write about, there may be a couple things I’d prefer not to write about.  However, if required, these would not frighten me.  Sometimes I feel uncomfortable writing about something of an explicit sexual nature.  For me, that’s a personal subject.  I’d prefer not to write about disasters, or any such traumatic events.  My writing genre of choice would be of an optimistic and positive variety.  Also, when it comes to writing portions of my autobiography, I sometimes become hesitant, while struggling to include too much honest truthful detail.  But, I am able to bite the bullet and do it.

All that being said, I think that writing about fear itself, could be translated into quite a constructive and beneficial subject.

It all depends on one’s perception of fear.  For example…..
With love in our hearts, and love being greater than fear, what’s there really to fear? 

I once read a good book, “Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway”.



Like anything else, attempting to bury something, or cause distraction, will not make anything go away – not even fear.  Feel it and do it anyway is the logical solution.


P.S.  After re-reading this blog, I don't feel it is fair representation of my writing.  But, I'm posting it anyway, just because I made a committment to write from the daily prompts.  As it is, I'm already behind schedule, and am trying to catch up. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment