Inspiration of the Self-Reliance 30-Day Writing Challenge

To celebrate Ralph Waldo Emerson's 208th birthday (May 25th, 1803), Self-Reliance urges us to trust our intuition rather than conforming to the will of the majority.

Beginning on May 31st, 2011, The Ralph Waldo Emerson Self-Reliance website*** will post a daily prompt. This will continue for 30 days.

This is my unique creation of personal reflection and responses, based on those prompts.

***See link below for the site.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

15 Minutes to Live

DAY 1 - Prompt:
You just discovered you have fifteen minutes to live.
1. Set a timer for fifteen minutes.
2. Write the story that has to be written.

My Story ~




Given only fifteen minutes to live does not provide sufficient time for my number one priority.  This would be to have my entire family all together for those last fifteen minutes.  This is impossible, as it would take each one longer than fifteen minutes to arrive, due to geographical undesirability.

This gives me just enough time to remind each member of my family how very much I love each one.  I’m grateful that this is the family I’ve been given for this lifetime.  Each one will remain in my heart and soul forever, even after my body is gone.

Special mention is for my wonderful husband, the love of my life.  Nothing is perfect, but our marriage has been filled with so much love and caring, and for that I am eternally grateful.

To my two amazing sons, Chris and Steve, I love you both with every fiber of my being.  I couldn’t ask for better sons.  It’s because of you that I am known as Mom (or Mama or Momma or Maman).  I’m so very proud of all you both have accomplished.  I appreciate that each of you has been responsible, good “kids”, kind to others, sensitive, compassionate and loving. 

Chris, I am proud of your service in the Marine Corps and you dedication to your education, and how very knowledgeable and responsible you've been. 

Steve, I am proud of your independence and responsibility in all that you do, and especially the time you spent volunteering for hospice patients.  I’m grateful for your wisdom and all you taught me.

Chris and Steve - my two drummer boys - keep the music going!

I’m also very grateful for my step-children and grandchildren, who have brightened my life so much.  My love for them is as much as if they were my biological children.

And, to my special friendships I’ve been so fortunate to have.  Those who have crossed my path during these past sixty-three years have given my life opportunities for learning, teaching, loving, and much happiness.

I am also grateful for the difficult times in my life.  Each has given me the ability to become the person I am today.

With only one minute left, I will leave with contentment, peace, serenity and love.

2 comments: